Our Customer is a Pharmaceuticals start-up who wants to develop an artificially intelligent smart assistant that can recall formulas and solutions, guide the scientists through scientific protocols, do their lab math and calculations, and helps scientists by responding to verbal questions and requests without the need for hands-on interaction.
There are lot of scenarios in research laboratory environment Imagine scientists working in a science laboratory on a multistep reaction that requires them to add reagents in a specific sequence and with precise timing. Standing at the hood, reagents measured and ready to go, they begin the carefully orchestrated procedure, when suddenly their mind draws a blank. Which reagent do I add next?
Scientists could take off their gloves and look up the protocol in their lab notebook, but with each precious second that passes, the reaction is more likely to fail. Another challenge in labs are having lots of items - chemicals, reagents, glassware, equipment, etc., and just trying to keep track of everything can be overwhelming.
Unfortunately, there is no existing solution out there in the market which can empower the scientist with these requirements.
That’s when Intellectyx was provided an opportunity to collaborate and provide a solution using Amazon Alexa—the personal assistant software platform that’s part of Amazon’s Echo and Echo Dot hardware.
We do so much in science where our hands are really busy, so it can be really helpful to have something there that can just tell you what it is that you need to know, be able to answer questions for you, look up information, and remind you of things,
As part of the effort, Intellectyx team worked with the client team on architecting, design and delivery of a managed service using Alexa based Smart Assistant Solution with the below listed features
- Understand speech and by taking queries and requests and relaying the information back to you – sentiments and response
- Understand and recognise the scientific names, lab and science terminologies – taxonomies
- Look up data, such as boiling points, molecular weights, formulas, lab and science terminologies – relevance
- Constantly learn an extensive knowledge base full of scientific reference information and behaviour – AI
- Search the internet for answers that are not available in the knowledge base and store the information for future references.
- The ability for the scientists to add their own custom protocols and recipes to the knowledge base and help the scientists through a protocol in a stepwise fashion.
- Manage lab inventory and various use cases and help find the things and location.
The labs are empowered with Alexa based AI Smart Assistant platform which offered the scientists with more intuitive way to interact with the technology and achieved the below results,
- Increased Efficiency - Using hands free smart assistant, convenient way to access information, reducing chances of human error and increasing efficiency in experiments.
- Improved Lab Safety - Smart Assistant can quickly access safety data sheets for chemicals and reagents, providing immediate information into potential safety hazards.
- Keeps Updated - Smart Assistant learns what is important in the lab and can alert the scientists to new journal articles so scientists can stay current in their discipline.
- Increase Reproducibility - Smart Assistant is a hands free, convenient way to access information, reducing chances of human error and increasing efficiency in experiments.
- Manage Inventory - Smart Assistant can access inventory, making it easier to find the things scientists need while also keeping the inventory up to date.